- Professor of Intercultural Studies
- Program Director, Doctor of Missiology
- Chair, Dept. of Intercultural Studies
- D.Miss., Biola University
- M.A., Biola University
- B.S., Dallas Bible College
- Diploma, New Tribes Bible Institute
Dr. Steffen served 20 years with New Tribes Mission, 15 of those in the Philippines. He is Professor of Intercultural Studies in the School of Intercultural Studies at Biola University in La Mirada, California, where he directs the Doctor of Missiology program.
- American Society of Missiology
- North American Society of Church Growth
- Evangelical Missiologial Society (Executive Vice President, 2000-2005)
Awards and Honors
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2000.
- Award of Excellence in Scholarship, Biola University, 1999.
The Facilitator Era: Beyond Pioneer Church Multiplication. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2011.
Rundle, Steve and Tom Steffen, Great Commission Companies: The Emerging Role of Business in Missions, InterVarsity Press, 2011 (Rev. ed.)
선교사의 생활과 사역: 21세기 타문화 사역 입문서 Seoul, Korea: Christian Literature Crusade, 2010.
Steffen, Tom and Lois McKinney Douglas. Encountering Missionary Life and Times: Preparing for Intercultural Ministry. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2008.
Lideres Que Pasan La Posta: Plantacion de Iglesias y Retirada Progresiva. KAIROS: 2006
“Introduction.” in Business As Mission: From Impoverishment to Empowerment, eds. Tom Steffen, and Mike Barnett. Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 2006:15-16.
“The Facilitator Era: Beyond Pioneer Church Multiplication.” Wipf & Stock Publishers, January 2011.
“Pedagogical Conversions: From Propositions to Story and Symbol.” Missiology: An International Review. (2010), 38(2): 141-159.
“Change the Worldview…Change the World.” Evangelical Missions Quarterly. 2009, 45:4:458-464. (With Robert Strauss)
“Evangelism Lessons Learned Abroad that Have Implications at Home.” Journal of the American Society for Church Growth. Winter 2009, 20:107-135